Re: Is this the steepest adhesion worked (model) railway in the world?

I Had a section of 1 in 10ish on my HO latout. won't mention the track
voltage was 24v, not 12!! But it was only a piece of crap AN Life Like Loco
with the plastic wheels. had some fun with that. Banked corners that looked
like they belong on a roller coaster, with my little AN pulling 5 cars
behind it!! and still it flew off the rails!! lots of fun...

-----
Paul Jones

    Lambing Flat wrote in message <39050CB6.CA4D7DB8@cia.com.au>...

    I finally made a "water level" today, a very useful instrument for
getting levels on a garden railway.
    One of the first things I did with it was to measure the infamous grades
on the RVR's zig zag.

    The steepest section of the middle road, which my little Krauss will
negotiate quite successfully with a four or five wagon on fine dry days, but
has defeated many much larger visiting locos, measures an amazing 1 in 12!

    The bottom half of the middle road is a far more sensible 1 in 19, not
far off my intended 1 in 20!  Obviously, when I was originally surveying it
a major error in calculations set in about half way up!

    Overall, the average grade from Bottom Points to Devlins is 1 in 17,
which would not be too bad, if it wasn't for that short pinch at 1 in 12!

    However, I am going to deviate the entire top end of the zig zag,
eliminating Top Points and the reverse, thereby eliminating the zig zag
altogether.  In the best traditions of Australian steam railways a steep,
(albeit direct) bottleneck of a zig zag will be replaced  with a longer, but
more easily graded loop deviation.  The deviation will have a grade of
approximately 1 in 27, which should make life easier for visiting locos!

    In other RVR news, the extension of the main line from Bottom Points
towards a connection with the Emu Bay Railway at Guildford Jnt proceeds
apace.  The two span underslung Howe Truss over Dragonrock Gorge has been
completed and is only waiting the installation of the approach trestles and
track laying.  The site of Dragonrock station has been cleared and is
awaiting the attentions of the track gangs.  A shipment of fine English rail
is expected at any moment (Our supplier is having a few days off over
Easter!).

    All this, will, of course, appear on my web site once construction is
completed and the official photographer has paid a visit.

    However, getting back to the question in the header, is the middle road
of the RVR's zig zag the steepest adhesion worked railway in the world,
model or otherwise?

    --
    DPC James McInerney

    STOP!  In The Name Of The Lore!