Re: 3801/30 to ararat

Greg Triplett wrote in message <3906DB28.7809059B@hotkey.net.au>...
>Hi Noel,
>> this blue thing with NSW
>> plates came hurtling in sideways ( a well known husband & wife in the
>> railfan fraternity) and totally disrupted procedings.
>
>Now let's guess. 1st name Bill. Wife ARE member #1000. Right

Hmmmmmm.....

Maybe there were two incidents at Jerrawa on Anzac Day 1973.

Certainly, somebody named Bill and somebody who was ARE member #1000 were
motorcading.  In a 1973-model BRIGHT ORANGE Toyota Corolla. Definitely not
BLUE!

I did drive off the road.  Straight on at a right-angle bend, through a
fence, and into a paddock full of sheep.  This in defensive driving is
called "knowing one's escape routes".  No sheep were harmed in this scene.
All would have been well except that a VICTORIAN named G*R*Y M**D*N*L*D,
driving a HR Holden, imagined that my brand-new brake lights indicated the
position of the road.  Yass Police attended and conceded that since the
massive rear-end collision had not occurred on a public road, they were
powerless.  The sheep agreed.

To stick to the railway facts, after Jill had medical attention we had our
first and last ride on the Tulloch Riverina railcars.

I didn't see a blue Morris Minor at this incident.  Maybe Noel saw another
entirely separate event (give us more details, Noel!).

The last time we motorcaded interstate steam in a blue Morris Minor was the
trip to Whyalla in October 1972 with 3642 and 3801.  The highlight of the
motorcade was overtaking *105* pacer-caders in one overtake on the way into
Whyalla (this is probably a world record for motorcading on the wrong side
of the road in a Morris Minor!).

Those were the days!

Rgds

Bill