Re: [VIC] Wooden cars at high speed (was: [VIC] Parallel run)

----------
In article <38fd4422.24722990@news.ocean.com.au>, pcc@ocean.com.au (Brown
Family) wrote:

<CHOP MUCH FACT>

>It is unlikely that any railway building these carriages would have
>accepted them when new as safe to travel in if they flexed as much as
>they did in their later lives - even in 1908.

I can't argue with the figures Les, although I did point out that with steel
cars, the body is part of the overall structure, adding ridgidity, something
a wooden body won't do to nearly the same extent. Also with an a/c E car the
extra weight is all equipment, no additional support.
I still believe the cars would have flexed as new, not as much as now, but
there has to be give in virtually any structure of its size, even motorbikes
frames flex, even a skyscraper flexes.

How much they should, did and now do is the arguable dimension...........

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne