Re: OT - delving into aviation (was: XP2001 looks good from the air)

"Chris Downs" <cvdowns@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
Y1sJ4.4908$5D.10647@ozemail.com.au">news:Y1sJ4.4908$5D.10647@ozemail.com.au...
> Is it due to a more competitive environment, tighter margins therefore
> comparatively less $ for safety in the US?

Probably. They do cut corners in the US (hence they have one of the world's
strictest regulatory authorities, the FAA) so that could be the reason. It
does not auger well for our won airline industry who are also cutting costs.

> And while on the subject or aircraft and accidents - didn't Jimmy Strong
> look dapper and confident standing by the resurrected Qantas jumbo (after
> having travelled on its return journey to Oz), the jumbo having been
> repaired after going through the catch points in Bangkok last year.

LOL - that was a PR disaster by QF - they could have handled it much better
by being totally upfront about what happened (sound familiar?) instead they
stuck their head in the sand and told the media not to worry about it.

Dave