Re: MELB AUST trams [ was Putting light rail in subway

Aidan Stanger wrote:

> Daniel Bowen <dbowen@#DELETE#custard.net.au> wrote:
> > [Bridge Road Richmond]

> > David, did you confirm that the original poster was talking about the 48/75,
> > or was it some other route? (86, for example?)
> >
> It was the East Burwood line I was referring to, but not just that
> section of Bridge Road. The tram seemed to be going rather slowly all
> through the inner suburbs, though of course some parts were slower than
> others. I don't know exactly where the slowest bits were, partly because
> I didn't have a map, and partly because during the journey it got dark!

As you were making an inbound trip in the evening, I suspect it might
have been running deliberately slowly for time-keeping purposes then.
This can be really frustrating.

Drivers are supposed to arrive at various timepoints within 60 seconds
of the schedule and not depart before the scheduled time. Each tram is
fitted with a GPS (global positioning satellite) system which allows
central control to monitor its progress so drivers can't cheat.

It often means you're either in a tram running late because of the
traffic congestion, or there is no traffic congestion so the tram is
crawling along so as not to get ahead of its schedule.  When they're
late, it can be more fun once they hit a clear stretch of road, as those
trams can really belt along. But it is damned frustrating being in a
tram on the long reserved track median strip sections of the 75 or the
86 (where the road traffic speed limit is 80 kmh) and the tram is doing
20 kmh so as not to get ahead of schedule.

I'd really have thought with this age of computer scheduling and GPS
technology that some better schedules could be put together to speed the
service up, especially in the evenings and on weekends when road traffic
is lighter.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand