Re: MELB AUST trams [ was Putting light rail in subway

On Sat, 08 Apr 2000 11:42:26 +1200, David McLoughlin
<davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz> wrote, and I selectively quote:

>I'll cross-post this into aus.rail to see if someone in Melbourne can
>give the current state of play with this grim section of tram line.

For many years,  there was a caveat on the properties on the north side of
Bridge Road reserving the front 10 meters or so and new shops such as the
Portmans shop and the Bank of Melbourne were built set well back from the
road.  The substantially intact cable tram winding house* near the corner
of Punt Road was demolished to allow for a left turn lane into Bridge Road
that looked as if it were the new alignment on the north side of Bridge
Road.

However, given that just about every shop on the north side of Bridge Road
is of Victorian era, I'd say the political possibility of a wholesale
demolition of 30+ shops would be minuscule.

Given the above, I believe that plans to widen Bridge Road have been
abandoned as
1) there have been no further road works since the left lane from Punt Road
into Bridge Road some 8-10 years ago; and
2) Portmans, located on the corner of Lennox Street and Bridge Road, have
now rebuilt their store right up to the footpath, obliterating the
previously reserved open land.

Regards

Yuri

* PS the winding house was demolished over the Christmas break within days
of the Clarendon Street bridge removal in South Melbourne.  The work was
ringed by security guards obviously intent on avoiding any demonstrations
of "heritage buffs"; I was even warned off taking photos from the other
side of the road by these goons(not that I listened).
--
==================================
Yuri J Sos

Reply to: steam5me@dingoblue.net.au