Re: [vic]Leongatha rail service review (gov annncmnt)

On Fri, 07 Apr 2000 09:57:56 GMT, james_ccj@my-deja.com wrote, and I
selectively quote:

>The line beyond Leogatha is soooo beautiful....go right by beautiful
>beach(I mean the section to Inverloch).....pleasant
>countryside....farm ...little bush and river.....too bad track lifted
>long ago.

Wrong line.  Inverloch was on the Wonthaggi line which branched off at
Nyora and swung down towards Westernport Bay.

>What would they do to South Gippsland railway???  and does National
>Express still have enoguh rollingstock to run the service??
>...Maybe after the delivery of new DMUS...free some loco hauls for this
>service.

Interesting.  NX and FA would probably have to pay track access charges to
SGR.

>With the right pricing they would say yes...any chances of extend all
>the way to Iverloch or Yarram??

Extremely unlikely.  The previous government closed the line beyond
Leongatha because of the state of the Tarwin River trestles (and because
they wanted out of rail services in general).   Inverloch was on another
line.

I'd have liked to see the line preserved as far as Foster.  IMHO, the climb
out of Foster through the ferns and lush pasture with the backdrop of
Corner Inlet and Wilsons Promontory was the most beautiful and scenic piece
of mainline in Victoria, but I doubt the huge cost of reinstating rail
could ever be justified (unless petrol suddenly went to $2 per liter or
so).

> "The Leongatha Rail Review will include consideration
>of tourism initiatives such as the running of
>steam trains on the line," said Mr Batchelor.

Kinda answers your question above about what they'd do to the SGR.

Regards

Yuri
--
==================================