Re: [vic]Leongatha rail service review (gov annncmnt)

In article <8cjfr6$194v$1@news1.wire.net.au>,
  "andrei" <andrei@ausisp.com> wrote:
> found this press release on the government web site:

http://www.dpc.vic.gov.au/domino/web_notes/newmedia.nsf/366feaa87308bebf
4a25
> 6811007f839b/c0971dcfa93888194a2568b80013a27a?OpenDocument
>
> media release
> FROM THE MINISTER FOR TRANSPORT
>
> DATE: Tuesday, April 4, 2000
>
> LEONGATHA RAIL SERVICE REVIEW ANNOUNCED
>
> The latest plank in the Bracks Government's Linking Victoria program
has
> commenced with the establishment of a Community Reference Group to
help
> review the options for returning rail services between Leongatha and
> Melbourne.
Hmmm thing just keep on getting better:-) when would Steve and Peter
run Federal Parliment in Canberra??:-)

> The Minister for Transport, Mr Peter Batchelor, said the Government
was
> meeting its commitment to the people of Gippsland to review the
Kennett
> Government's closure of the Leongatha passenger rail service in 1993.
>
> "The Leongatha Rail Review will assess the performance of coach
services
> that have replaced the passenger trains. It will also investigate the
impact
> on the local economy and the commercial feasibility of returning a
passenger
> service on the line," said Mr Batchelor.
>
> "The review will also consider the future of rail freight services and
> tourist trains on the Leongatha line."
The line beyond Leogatha is soooo beautiful....go right by beautiful
beach(I mean the section to Inverloch).....pleasant
countryside....farm ...little bush and river.....too bad track lifted
long ago.

> Mr Batchelor has sent letters to the Member for Gippsland West, Ms
Susan
> Davies, and the South Gippsland Shire Council inviting them to take
part in
> the Community Reference Group that will also include representatives
from
> the Department of Infrastructure and the Department of State and
Regional
> Development.
>
> Rail operators, Freight Australia and National Express, as well as
local
> community interest groups will also be consulted as part of the
>review.
What would they do to South Gippsland railway???  and does National
Express still have enoguh rollingstock to run the service??
...Maybe after the delivery of new DMUS...free some loco hauls for this
service.

> "The Government is currently in discussions with the South Gippsland
Shire
> Council about a possible freight terminal in the area and I have
invited the
> council to provide details of any other industry groups that may also
be
> interested in taking part in the rail review," said Mr Batchelor.
With the right pricing they would say yes...any chances of extend all
the way to Iverloch or Yarram??

> Leongatha is one of five country rail services closed by the Kennett
> Government that are now being reviewed. The other services are on the
> Mildura, Ararat, Bairnsdale and Cobram lines.
Strangely they resume the Echucan service twice weekly...which was
closed by Labour government

> "The Bracks Government wants to strengthen the ties between Melbourne
and
> regional Victoria and generate new opportunities for the growth and
> development of the State's regional and rural areas," said Mr
Batchelor.

> "Through Linking Victoria, the Government plans to work with the
private
> sector to invest more than $1.5billion in the State's roads, rail and
ports
> over the next four years."
>
> "The potential reopening of the Leongatha rail line for freight would
open
> new opportunities for transporting products from the region's building
> sands, horticultural and timber industries."
>
> Mr Batchelor praised local MP Susan Davies for her work in
campaigning for a
> return of rail services to this important region of Victoria.
>
> He said the Kennett Government had failed to understand the
importance of
> high quality transport services to regional communities.
>
> "The Leongatha Rail Review will include consideration of tourism
initiatives
> such as the running of steam trains on the line," said Mr Batchelor.
>
> A report on the Leongatha Rail Review is expected to be presented to
the
> Government by July 2000.
Looking forward to it

--