Re: [vic]Leongatha rail service review (gov annncmnt)

On 7 Apr 2000 08:35:08 GMT, cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au (Christopher_Martin GORDON)
wrote, and I selectively quote:

>What are Freight Australia going to do with the sand wagons?
>Run the Sand train again?  (I have heard the plans for this, using
>the RTL etc....)

IINM, sand is currently hauled by train in containers loaded at Warragul or
Morwell.

My sources told me that RTL's next assignment after Hillside would be
hauling sand from Koala to ?Lyndhurst (thence to be picked up by the
Westall G on its early shunt) until the line was rehabilitated (same modus
operandi as Hillside... get the line earning money then do up the track to
carry T class or heavier).

If this were the case, *relatively* little expenditure would be required to
get the line to Leongatha opened as SGR have maintained Nyora-Leongatha
reasonably well; apparently there is a bad heat buckle between Nyora and
Koala that needs work.

There's super traffic at Leongatha waiting for rail and FV in the early
stages said there was enough business on that line to generate 2-3 trains a
week.

On the Koala - Cranbourne section, the bridges are of concern as years of
neglect have left them in a sorry state.

There's also talk of extending the electrification to Cranbourne East which
would obviously require track improvements.

One thing puzzles me though.... is NX now the sole passenger rail operator
in Victoria?  They seem to be the only ones mentioned with any expansion or
services or re-opening of lines.  Does this mean that re-opened lines will
not be subject to competitive tendering?

Regards

Yuri
--
==================================