Re: MELB AUST trams [ was Putting light rail in subway

Yuri wrote:

As my earlier post was crossed into here from mtu-t in reply to a
question there, I am cross-posting your reply back into that group even
though you snipped it.

Do you agree with Aiden then that it could be worth while to put the 48
and 75 trams in a subway for the short length of highly congested street
concerned?

dmcl

> For many years,  there was a caveat on the properties on the north side of
> Bridge Road reserving the front 10 meters or so and new shops such as the
> Portmans shop and the Bank of Melbourne were built set well back from the
> road.  The substantially intact cable tram winding house near the corner
> of Punt Road was demolished to allow for a left turn lane into Bridge Road
> that looked as if it were the new alignment on the north side of Bridge
> Road.
>
> However, given that just about every shop on the north side of Bridge Road
> is of Victorian era, I'd say the political possibility of a wholesale
> demolition of 30+ shops would be minuscule.
>
> Given the above, I believe that plans to widen Bridge Road have been
> abandoned as
> 1) there have been no further road works since the left lane from Punt Road
> into Bridge Road some 8-10 years ago; and
> 2) Portmans, located on the corner of Lennox Street and Bridge Road, have
> now rebuilt their store right up to the footpath, obliterating the
> previously reserved open land.
>
> Regards
>
> Yuri

And is there any plan to relieve the ghastly traffic congestion along
this short stretch of road?

dmcl.