Admin - Replying Off List (Was : Locomotives and heat/cold)

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Just a helpful hint so people won't fall for the same trap as Richard  - see below...  (no Bob, I'm not trying to usurp your role as administrator! This seems to be a common problem )

If you hit "reply", or even "reply all" to an Ausloco message, you'll still get Ausloco in the "To" field.  This applies with IE5/ Outlook Express, and I assume with other browsers - I suspect it is a feature of the Listbot system.designed to prevent individuals accidentally getting direct replies.

If you want to correspond with the author, either check if they have provided their email address in the text of their message, or if they haven't, still use the "reply" command, but cut and paste their email address, which should appear on the header of their message (as shown below), and substitute this for "Ausloco" in the "To" field.

I think some of the confusion arises because it is a lot easier to do this on Newsgroups -  on aus.rail, for example you have a choice of "reply" (which gives you the originator of the message) , or "reply group", which responds to the newsgroup.

As someone once said, I hope this helps!

Now, we should all go back and delete the confidential and incriminating information provided in Richard's message.
 :-))

Regards,

Paul