Re: Locomotives and heat/cold

Aus loco discussion mailing list

G'day Wayne
I am hopefully replying directly to your E-mail and not on the forum. As
a former SRA NSW DELEC Driver I wanted to point out the fact that opening
doors etc was frowned upon by the department for a number of reasons.

1) The engine compartment is supposed to be sealed for air filtration.

2) The engine compartment is designed to be sealed for cooling purposes.

3) The engine is fitted with a thermostat and over temp cut-outs and
  these are meant to protect the engine.
There are standard operating procedures if a unit FAILS due to overheating,
which if followed, allow units to be moved out of the section in the event
of such an occurence, without causing irreperable damage! A more likely
reason for the door(s) being left
open was usually not shut during the engine preparation [Slackness], and
occasionally
there were faulty doors, which were supposed to be booked in the units Log
Book,
and the next time the unit went in for periodic inspection in the shed
supposedly fixed
by the fitters. There were are a lot of drivers on "The Job" who considered
themselves
better Engineers than those at ALCO or GM/EMD and hence didn't follow the
rules set
out by  them, which consequently caused damage to units and great cost to
the dept.
 Drivers found to be in contempt of rules & regs could be found doing
extended shifts
of Shed work, sometimes suspended and always Bunged (fined). Hence the
average
Driver loathed railway photographers, because it is not unknown for photos
to be
used as evidence of misdemeanours such as leaving doors open. Recently there
was
a comment about railway officialdom availing themselves of another possible
avenue
of info (read spying) when accessing Aus Loco, which is why I have contacted
you, and hopefully not the list. I would not be surprised if the dept hasn't
used the info posted, particularly times, to check up on drivers and late or
early running of trains.
 In parting I would like to say that I do not wish to be Quoted, but if
these remarks were
to be posted anonymously without reference to myself, some of the less
thinking list
subscribers might realise that if they asked fewer silly questions and
stopped big
note-ing! themselves, they might learn something and not cause offence. Ever
wondered why there aren't too many postings from real Enginemen.
Yours Sincerely

P.S. 80 Class ALCO's were notorious for overheating out West, and this in my
opinion, was attributable to the units being designed when ALCO(Aust) were
going Broke and the railways at Chullora had to finish the Job! The 80 class
also suffered from sagging Chassis, which may have had an effect on the car
body and a possible consequence to sealing and hence cooling.