Re: Sydney Rail strike tomorrow

Railway Rasputin wrote in message <37F1EB4B.2F3D07A6@fastlink.com.au>...

>gonoNOCRAP@bigpond.com wrote:
>

>> Here we go again i gotta ask you why are they shedding operational
>> staff when you have the ridiculous situation where some employees
>> drive all over the state in four wheel drives pressing buttons on
>> level crossing equipment to see if it still works???? this has to be
>> one of the most inefficient work practices known to man.
>> In Vic they fitted "healthy state indicators" A flashing white light
>> attached to the crossing lights if this does not flash it is the
>> drivers responsibility to report this to train control
>> I'm sure if SRA adopted this policy they could shed 500 non productive
>> workers and save thousands of litres of fuel and wear and tear on
>> vehicles a week !!!
>> Regards Paul Johnston (mnrc)
>
>I don't think you would have to fit the extra light. Haven't F and E
>type level crossings have hole in the side of the barrel of the light so
>drivers can see if they are working?
>
>rgds

Yes they do. However, the reason level crossing lights / bells / boomgates
are checked daily is because they can and do fail. If a driver noticed the
level crossing protection wasn't working (and it is very difficult to notice
in daytime unless you're right on top of the crossing) there is a very good
chance the train would go straight through an unprotected crossing, with
possible tragic consequences.

Regards,
Russ..