Re: QR going national?

> Exhorbitant? If they are exhorbitant, how come Queenslanders pay less for
> their electricity than anyone else in the country? Hmm? If our coal haulage

I am not sure how up to date you are with your facts on electricity
pricing. I think you  will find in the de-regulated market down south
that electricity prices are lower. It will be interesting to see what
happens when long extension lead from Armidale to Toowoomba is completed
and Queensland joins the SE Aust grid.
I don't have any knowledge on the rates QR is paying for electricity but
on a recent trip through the central coalfields a number of railway
people were suggesting that QR made the wrong decision to electrify the
coal lines due to the high maintenance costs as well as high energy
costs. This might have some truth as the new locos for coal working on
the Moura line are diesels even though apparently there was
consideration given to electrifying the line but it was not economical.
One driver at Gladestone was saying that each time he had to make a stop
and restart a 130 wagon coal train it cost $500 in electricity charges.
I don't where he got the figures but when your drawing 12,000 kW it
could be true!

<snip>

Graham Fry