Re: How can we make trains run later?

> We had a system of indicator lights to show where the trains were going.
For
> example, East Hills trains had three lights across the top, Bankstown
trains had
> two lights down the side.  This worked very well for 65 years, until some
brain
> surgeon decided to build the Tangaras without the marker light system,
opting
> instead for a failure prone difficult to read text system.   The marker
lights
> were understood by everyone, including those from non-English speaking
> backgrounds, unlike the English text indicator boards.
> The majority weren't fitted from birth and have never had one, for
reasons
> listed below.

these are still only on R and S sets. there are none on K, C, T, G sets.
its amazing that while they were preserved in the not-so-recent refurbished
R and S sets, they are not used at all for destination display, only to
tell the front from the back.

> > And the person who thought dark orange on
> > black was high contrast enough for commuters to read it from a distance
> > ought to be taken out and shot.

It seems that this is only the case on the early tangaras. the later ones
(62xx, 52xx) have a very clear yellow text, that is lit up and very easy to
read. the orange ones were often microscopic, but the new ones make use of
the whole display area.