Re: DOO In Sydney?

Railway Rasputin <bob@fastlink.com.au> wrote in message
37EEA813.5FEB41A5@fastlink.com.au">news:37EEA813.5FEB41A5@fastlink.com.au...

> WhaleOilBeefHooked wrote:
> >

> > Get real - in Sydney, we are talking about drivers cabs on half the
fleet -
> > that is over 1000 cabs. We are also talking about cameras at every
station -
> > all 300 of them? Then there is the problem of interference between
> > platforms - what if you have a situation like North Sydney, platform 2
and
> > 3, with both trains leaving in the up direction, so the transmitters
would
> > bahe to be at the Sydney end of the platfrom for both platforms. The
chances
> > of a train picking up an erroneous signal are too great. (I know, it
SHOULD
> > be apparent to the driver that he or she is looking at the wrong side,
but
> > we cannot rely on that).
> >
> > DaveP
>
> Just a note: When I started school as a 5 y.o we knew a guard he said it
> wasn't secure as they were going to get rid of guards. Well I went
> thruogh all 13 years of school, did 5 years in a bank, 5 years as a
> guard and now am a driver. We still have guards. The new 4gt has guard
> stations in them. I still think that there will be guards of some sort
> in 10 years time.
>
> rgds

You should call yourself Railway Rip van winkle, you've obviously been
asleep whilst the rest of Australia has moved to DOO, the job of Spark
Driver has improved no end since DOO in Melbourne, trains aren't cancelled
as often account lack of "Qualified Staff" as was the case when one of the
crew failed to turn up, we don't have to worry of what the other blokes
doing, far less number of accidents with people being dragged along
platforms, the list goes on and on.

If you really believe that guards will still be on Sydney trains in 2 years
time you had better start hanging up your stocking because Santa will be
here in 2 months!!!!

Bob.