Re: V/Line Pass- Railways now forgotten in Government Policy?

In article <01bf062a$0a6d6dc0$f72d11cb@rodsmith>, rodsmith@werple.net.au
says...

>The improvement in off-peak services was only a part recom
>pense for the
>withdrawal of two-person crews.  It was not uniform across
> all routes, and
>applied to only part of the day.
>Likewise the improvements on Sundays were left for 6 years
> to implement,
>and again did not apply all day.
>
>The record of two Kennett governments was that reality did
> not match
>rhetoric.
>* The 3 hour zone 1 ticket was cut to 2 hour, with no pric
>e reduction.
>Voters forgot that within 3 years.
>* The promise at the first election was for free transport
> in the cbd.  The
>implementation was City Circle trams.

>* Mon.-Fri. services were cut in the earliest months; henc
>e quite easy to
>reinstate some before an election.

In case anyone has any doubts about this. The St Albans peak service was cut by
removing a direct service without any compensating change to the timetable.of
the rest of the service. (This was part of the policy that all trains run
around the loop). We are still waiting for the reinstatement of the missing
train. There is still, 6 years later, a 27 minute gap in the weekday peak St
Albans service. The service is worse than the Saturday service at the same
time. The services involved are the 16:21 then the 16:48. There have been
occassions when the 16:21 was cancelled would you believe. Of course I always
remember the occassion I just missed the 16:05 by the paint on the door handles
and then had to suffer the cancellation of the 16:21. I complained of course
but nothing changed.

There is no way this could be called a peak hour service. There is no way it
called be called a service at all.

Bill Johnston