Re: Tram extensions was: Victorian election

>So what will we see? This option i bet. Why? bacause the pollies love to
see the new
>roads, which open up the country and provide better transport for all
australians.

>> Option 4:
>> * Tram to Knox
>> * Three track Box Hill-Ringwood
>> * Three track Caulfield-Dandenong
>> * Busway in centre of Springvale Road (Maroondah to Dandenong Railway
line)
>> * Freeway Ringwood-Frankston
>> * Better Buses
>> Option 4:
>> Public Transport - $239M
>> Roads - $775M
>> Total - $1041M

Actually, whilst your logic is correct, your conclusion isn't. I think you
will see option 4a:

Public Transport - $0M
Roads - $775M
Total - $775M

You work out which bits won't happen. Pollies love roads but now that the
railways are privately owned will claim not to need to spend money on public
transport. After all, why spend taxpayers money on something not owned by
the taxpayers. Whereas roads are benefiting the public, hence the need to
spend 3 times on them what you would need on public transport.

In 10 years time, you can happily prove me wrong. I don't think so though.