Re: Toorak Station

John Dennis <jdennis@acslink.net.au> wrote in message
7sc713$cqj$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:7sc713$cqj$1@nnrp1.deja.com...

> >> It was a parcels/goods lift and connected the goods yard (where the
> >> parcels office was) with the passenger station. Don't forget the
> >> goods yard here was at street level. Parcels coaches from Dandenong
> >> and Frankston would use the up through lines and clear parcels to
> >> Melbourne for on forwarding..
> >
> >The yard was electrified and received timber and Briquetes, it could
> >only be accessed from the Through Lines and the Down Dandenong Goods
> >would alternate every other day, (not sure of the actual days of the
> >week) one day it would run via the Local Lines and shunt at Malvern,
> >the next day it would run via the Through lines and shunt Toorak.
>
> You say the down Dandenong Roadside shunted Toorak yard.  I have ridden
> in the van or cab of the up roadside from Oakleigh more than once and
> shunted there.  Was that unusual, or a common occurrence?
>
> Cheers...JD
>
> --
> John Dennis
> Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
> http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html

The Up Dandy Goods may have shunted there from time to time, however it was
easier for the Down to shunt as it did not require the set back move onto
the down line to depart the yard for the up journey, also in those days the
Up goods quite often did not arrive back at Toorak until very late in the
day.

It was also not unusual for a Warrigul Goods to shunt there to pick up empty
timber trucks as the yard was electrified.

Bob.