Re: Toorak Station

David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> wrote in message
37E773EB.2687B312@ancc.com.au">news:37E773EB.2687B312@ancc.com.au...
> Jack Frost wrote:
>
> > At the Caulfield end of Platform 1 at Toorak is a tower structure that
> > connects the platform and the road above. It is not in use. What is
> > it?
> > TIA
>
> It was a parcels/goods lift and connected the goods yard (where the
> parcels office was) with the passenger station. Don't forget the goods
> yard here was at street level. Parcels coaches from Dandenong and
> Frankston would use the up through lines and clear parcels to Melbourne
> for on forwarding..
>
> David.

God, (sorry David), it must be great to be young?

David is right, (I am that old that I have actually shunted in that Yard).

The yard was electrified and received timber and Briquetes, it could only be
accessed from the Through Lines and the Down Dandenong Goods would alternate
every other day, (not sure of the actual days of the week) one day it would
run via the Local Lines and shunt at Malvern, the next day it would run via
the Through lines and shunt Toorak.

I would suggest that the reason the yard was at street level would have had
some connection with the original level of the line before the 3rd (later
4th) line was added?

The tower as suggested would have been for parcel traffic being lifted to
and from street level.

Bob.