Re: Stony Point line Queries from non Mexican (was Melb 4D fails for last time)

Exnarc <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
7s6dec$2r9g$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:7s6dec$2r9g$1@otis.netspace.net.au...

> Michael Walker <walker@hotkey.net.au> wrote in message
> 937840190.24473@diddley.primus.com.au">news:937840190.24473@diddley.primus.com.au...
> <snip>
> >Ownership by
> > Hillside doesn't mean much in some ways, they got the trains for free as
> did
> > Bayside. Surely they can 'do a deal'.
> >
> That is not the point, why would they want to do a deal?
>
> Lets face facts, its outside the loading gauge for this line, it would
> require major works to clear the bridge at the down end of Frankston not
> mention all the bridges between FSS and Frankston, it would have to run
into
> Melbourne for maintainance, (unless someone is suggesting that they build
> maintainance depot at Frankston just to service and lift one train)<g>.
>
> Its unsuitable to be loco hauled, what are the advantages of it anyway
when
> NX are going to replace the current fleet with DMU's.
>
> To run it would require the complete stripping of the current traction
> equipment, replacement of the Shaffenberg Couplers with autos, provision
of
> some form of 240v AC supply to run A/C, lighting,etc. a costly exercise,
now
> before I hear what about the N classes, would NX be prepared to lock in an
> for the Stony Point when they need them in mainline service (I doubt it),
at
> best its probably only one or 2 trains a day that would go anywhere near
> half filling it, its a white elephant, when it was built it was intended
> buy a fleet to increase line capacity on the Burnley Group, it proved
> un-suitable, so get rid of it, as simple as that.
>
> The most cost effective option is to either sell it, (doubt if you would
get
> a buyer)? or scrap it. (Option 3 give it to the Nth Willie Museum).
>
> Bob.
>
> Ok here is another thought.
Use it on the Warragul shuttle,the folks around here quite liked there
sparks,and where pretty pissed of when they where given Blue birds,alas the
Blue bird croaked and now we have stolen precious resources from the rest of
the state,ie at least 1 Sprinter and 1 N with 2 MTH cars.
The 4D did all its test running between Dandenong and Bunyip before entering
service and plenty was spent on cutting back platform faces etc.
ISTR it may have travelled all the way to Warragul at least once.
So as we already have at least 1 N pulling harris cars around,all that's
needed is 240v and some surplus couplers and Bobs your uncle ;-)