Re: 240 volts on tangaras and the 4d set

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 01:12:17 +1000, "Rod" <comtran@mpx.com.au> wrote:

>> > but the 4D has a pretty standard power point at the end of the top deck.
>> > Not sure about the voltage of it though, and how successful it is to
>> > charge/burn/fry a laptop using it.
>
>You would want to be carefull what you plugged into any mobile power point.
>V/Line locomotives have standard 3 pin outlets fitted in the cabs, but they
>provide only battery power which is about 65 volts DC. Fitters used to use
>normal looking tools, that were built or rebuilt to use that voltage.
>Hitachi sparks have 240 volt outlets located in the overhead locker at one
>end of the car, but they are only safe for motor operated devices such as
>Vacuum cleaners.
>Comenge Trains have similar outlets in the Drivers cabs, and we use them to
>run our trannies. I have heard of some being fried though.
>Sprinters have outlets at the Emergency tap, in each saloon. I cooked my
>mobile phone transformer the second time I used one. I now have a very
>simple device which tests for AC, and turns on between 220 and off if the
>voltage exceeds 250. We are experimenting with a voltage regulation circuit
>that  can regulate the voltage to 240, even though the supply is about 110,
>or more than 250. So far the device is not a convenient size or weight.
>Rod
Rod on a similar thread the NR's have a 240 volt outlet which everyone
uses to recharge their mobile phones and i have never heard of any
problems with it.
It runs of an inverter which has a rating of at least 1800 watts as it
runs the kettle and hand dryer in the toilet and we also use it to run
the vacuum cleaner at the fuel point in melb.
Regards Paul Johnston (mnrc)