Re: Garbage on Rails

Don Allitt <nahgfa@zeta.org.au> wrote in message
37E0CE00.87D3A03E@zeta.org.au">news:37E0CE00.87D3A03E@zeta.org.au...
> O.K. if Singleton is still a goer i think it is a rail and truck
combination.
> Don.
>
> TM wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:02:50 +1000, David Bromage
> > <dbromage@omni.com.au> wrote:

> > Transport of garbage to the Muswellbrook mine was banned by the NSW
> > government due to the risk of bringing the Phlloxera bug into a grape
> > growing area. The are vineyards within 2 km of the mine.
> > >
> > >I thought that project had been abandoned due to local objections,
which
> > >is how Woodlawn became an option.
> > >
> > >The original idea from ~4 years ago was to use, I think, Stockrington
> > >No.2 as the rubbish dump. Numerous jokers on this newsgroup suggested
> > >swapping 86s for 10 classs tanks at Broadmeadow. :)
> > >
> > >Cheers
> > >David
> > Stockrington proposal has been abandoned - extensive local objections.
> >
> > IIRC Singleton council recently approved the use of the old
> > Ravensworth opencut for dumping garbage.
> >
> > Tony

Bloody "local objections"

ISTR reading on this and other threads
logs banned from loading at Bungendore
garbage banned from carrying to Hunter Valley
opposition to yards at Chullora...
coal lines from Dalby to Tarong...
new Emu Bay branch blocked due to environmental concerns

FGS - the bloody trucks of Australia keep multiplying - where's the bloody
local objections to them. Imagine if each new truck had to get an
environmental impact statement - they'd all fail

Maybe its a subtle thing - people cant see trucks increasing coz its bit by
bit. But start a train service and its in their faces. Or maybe people are
just plain stupid.

Like those dills on the East Hills line - don't run anything up it that we
didn't have in the 50's when we bought our house next to the tracks - just
the odd suburban train. I remember once they were complaining at the work
trains heading up there before the Glenfield extension was opened - what
would they have preferred - trucks? Or maybe for the line to slowly decay,
squeal and rots its way to death and for a major derailment with loss of
life etc. I dunno