Re: Garbage on Rails

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:02:50 +1000, David Bromage
<dbromage@omni.com.au> wrote:

>Don Allitt wrote:
>>
>> At the start of 2001 there are two lots of garbage supposed to go by rail one to
>> the Singleton area and one to the Musselbrook area 400,000 tonnes each per
>> annum.
Transport of garbage to the Muswellbrook mine was banned by the NSW
government due to the risk of bringing the Phlloxera bug into a grape
growing area. The are vineyards within 2 km of the mine.

>I thought that project had been abandoned due to local objections, which
>is how Woodlawn became an option.
>
>The original idea from ~4 years ago was to use, I think, Stockrington
>No.2 as the rubbish dump. Numerous jokers on this newsgroup suggested
>swapping 86s for 10 classs tanks at Broadmeadow. :)
>
>Cheers
>David
Stockrington proposal has been abandoned - extensive local objections.

IIRC Singleton council recently approved the use of the old
Ravensworth opencut for dumping garbage.

Tony