Re: VLP "N"'s to GSR?? was Status of the ELS

In article <37E088D5.2E75324E@nmit.vic.edu.au> david <david@nmit.vic.edu.au> writes:
>From: david <david@nmit.vic.edu.au>
>Subject: VLP "N"'s to GSR?? was Status of the ELS
>Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:06:13 +1000

>Maurie Daly wrote in part ( and I cut):

>> As a previous poster pointed out,just about all the Rail market these days is
>> for freight not pass trains , and having a fleet of locos suitable only for
>> pass trains is pretty wasteful.
>>
>> The best locos for GSR trains are the Vline Ns , having plenty of pull and HEP.
>>
>> MD

>Does that mean GSR might want to get some  "N"'s from VLP ???? And the eventual question:
>How would a Standard Gauge "N" fair against a BL/NR on the overland ???

>Regards,
>David Head

Its unlikely, AFAIK GSR have a long term contract with NRC for hook & pull for
all their trains and dont seem to want to own any locos.
An N would be ok on all GSRs trains with the exception of the IP out of Sydney
where 2 X Ns would be needed.
If however VLP or whatever they are called slowly replace all their pass
services with sprinters then the Ns will become surplus.
Im sure someone will buy them.

MD