Signal Failure - Sydney Central NSW 15/9/99

Lunchtime trips from the city to Kogarah still offer variety.

Today, I set out to travel Wynyard (NSW) - Sydenham (NSW) - Kogarah at 11.20
am.  Surprised that the City Outer was closed, my first thought was "but the
trackwork poster said 9 PM - 1 AM".  Just missed a Bankstown train, caught
an East Hills train at 11.25.  It arrived at Central on the Down Suburban at
11.47 (normally a 5 minute trip).

Announcements were (i) there are "signal problems", (ii) East Hills train,
change at Redfern for Macarthur.  Stationery trains were a Tangara in
Platform 23, both an S set and a Tangara partly in platform 21, and an S set
in platform 19.

Departed FIVE minutes later on the same train, which crossed to the Illa
Local at Flying Junctions. 4860 (blue), 4850 (blue, exhaust scrubber), 4827
(RSA green) and 4819 (RSA green) were standing on the Down Airport line.  On
the way, we overtook the preceding Bankstown, which crossed from the
Suburban to the Local at Wells Street and followed the East Hills from
Illawarra Junction.

At Redfern, the Macarthur (via East Hills) train stood on platform 9 (Up
Illa) awaiting passengers, and departed nearly on time at 12.04.  Is this
the first southbound passenger departure from this platform?  (Incidentally,
since there is no guard's indicator, the guard relies on the intercom to
learn when the driver has the road -- this would be a bit unworkable for
regular moves!)

Back at Central, it seemed that all points and signals on the Down Local and
Down Illa Local were inoperative.  After about 12.25, trains were moving
normally (but slowly), with the exception that down East Hills / Bankstown
trains still emerging from the queue on the City Inner followed the Down
Local to Illawarra Junction.  At least two inbound suburban trains
terminated at Sydney Terminal around this time.

Rgds

Bill