Re: Privatisation (was:Re: Late running trains go Express (Hillside))

Dave McL <davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz> wrote in message
37df42e1@news.iprolink.co.nz">news:37df42e1@news.iprolink.co.nz...
> WhaleOilBeefHooked wrote:
>
> > Agreed - by skipping stations, they are not operating to the agreed and
> > published timetable.They should be fined for not complying with the
> > timetable.
>
> Indeed. But by the same argument, they should be rewarded for complying
> with the timetable. Which is the case. Penalty for late running, reward
> for on-time running. Sounds a good idea to me. Sounds like a bloody good
> idea for Melbourne train and tram users.

Perhaps they could adopt something from the United Kingdom - the passengers
charter. Over there, passengers are compensated with either extra time on
their periodical tickets or discounts on their tickets if the performance on
a line is not up to scratch, either in terms of time keeping *or* in terms
of cancellations.

This would result in the companies being fined AND passengers getting a
benefit.

DaveP