Re: Tram Announcements: another Victorian election conspiracy theory

Nev.. <idiotxxx@mindless.com> wrote in article
<ZSSxpDOuFnh7-pn2-fF5ide8EYH3n@localhost>...

> -> I thought that was the Brittish way.  I usually say and hear it
pronounced
> -> "root"

There was a thread about this on misc.transport.road some weeks ago;
different parts of the US pronounce it differently - I think the MidWest
pronounced it 'rowt' whereas the eastern seaboard pronounces it 'root'.

> I think the American pronunciation "rowt" has been adopted by lots of
> people to avoid the blushes and giggles that saying the word "root"
> invariably produces,

Nope, the word 'root' to describe sexual intercourse doesn't have that
meaning in the United States.

Regards,
Bradley S. Torr - Geographic Information Systems student
Posting from 34d28m S 150d54m E
Australian Highways Page - http://www.users.bigpond.com/btorr/ausroads