Re: Tram Announcements: another Victorian election conspiracy theory

On 10 Sep 1999 23:50:50 GMT, paul@xenu.ee.mu.oz.au (Paul Dwerryhouse)
wrote:

>Has anyone noticed how the Tram announcements (you know: "Good
>morning passengers... Swansong Trams would like to remind you to validate
>your tickets on every journey so that we can trace your every movement and
>invade your privacy ... [etc]") have suddenly disappeared, as the Victorian
>election approaches?
>
>I don't think I've heard one of these incredibly annoying, disrupting and
>useless announcements in over a week. I'd been thinking, the last time
>I'd actually heard one, that if there was anything that would generate a
>voter backlash, it would be these announcements.

On my trip along St Kilda Road and back last Thursday, I only heard
one announcement.  That said that due to an abandoned car at an
intersection on Malvern Road trams were delayed.  The interesting
thing (to my mind) was the preamble, which was "to all passengers on
route 70" with route pronounced in the American way - rowt.

JD

John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html