Re: Tram Announcements: another Victorian election conspiracy theory

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 13:30:09, "Jeff Kurland" <kurlandj@mediaone.net>
wrote:

->
-> John Dennis <jdennis@acslink.net.au> wrote in message
-> dkraN51iAdb6s74arS9mQ8BDCpfM@4ax.com">news:dkraN51iAdb6s74arS9mQ8BDCpfM@4ax.com...
->
-> > On my trip along St Kilda Road and back last Thursday, I only heard
-> > one announcement.  That said that due to an abandoned car at an
-> > intersection on Malvern Road trams were delayed.  The interesting
-> > thing (to my mind) was the preamble, which was "to all passengers on
-> > route 70" with route pronounced in the American way - rowt.
->
-> I thought that was the Brittish way.  I usually say and hear it pronounced
-> "root"

I think the American pronunciation "rowt" has been adopted by lots of
people to avoid the blushes and giggles that saying the word "root"
invariably produces, or maybe they just watch too much television and not
enough of it is the ABC.  The Oxford dictionary shows the correct
pronunciation to be the same as for the word "root".  Funny how mentioning
bits of plants produces such reactions.

Nev..

remove the xxx from email address to reply
blame the spammers for the inconvenience