Re: Country(link?) - try walking instead

Hi Dave..

Dave Proctor wrote in message <7vh0rh$4d8$2@news1.mpx.com.au>...
>Jack <bd107@tsn.cc> wrote in message
>8PSS3.38$W_3.1219@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:8PSS3.38$W_3.1219@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
>
>> Out of interest have ya met any of the new recruits from Countrylink who
>are
>> now City Rail Guards... there has been a mass exodus of expereinced PA's
>> from Countrylink to City Rail, which leaves Countrylink with nearly as
>many
>> temps as there are permanents... And a heap of them are lookin at leavin,
>> some of the new ones are headin off to the airlines... It says a lot for
>the
>> management style practiced in Countrylink...
>
>Totally agreed - a friend of mine who is in a Countrylink Travel Centre
says
>that morale across the organisation is totally shite.

That comes from having management in place who are not au fait with how
railways and railway staff work.... I have been on the job for many years
and in the *old days* the job was always done one way or the other, without
unwanted input from mangagers who didnt understand the working... In those
days as a rule the managem,ent came up thru the ranks and knew a bit about
how things were..  not today, give em a degree and they know everything....
NOT!! and the end result is a disgruntled workforce...

He says a large reason
>for this is the continuing insecurity over possible privatisation plans.
His
>opinion is that nobody will take it in its current form, and massive job
>cuts will result. If this *is* the opinion of staff at the coal face (and
he
>is one of them, so there is no reason why it shouldn't be) then it is easy
>to see why service levels have dropped off.

I read with interest in this newsgroup, regular comment about privatisation
of Passenger services in NSW... I have very grave doubts that it will
happen, under this current government.... Bob Carr is no fool, and he would
have taken to heart the lesson dished out by Victorian voters, ecconomic
rationalism is dead.. particularly when it impacts on country voters... that
is one privatisation that wont fly...

Cheers
Jack
Queensland: Perfect One day
Beautiful the next
And wet for the other 363 days of the year