Re: XPT timetable feedback

Dianne Lucas (matt@smart.net.au) wrote:
> Why not just run the XPT through Strathfield, the suburban platforms at
> Central, Chatswood and Hornsby, to provide a through service Melb -
> Brisbane.  I know XPTs have been run through the city circle before, but is
> there any reason fumes for example why a regular XPT could not use the North
> Shore line and provide through Melb - Brisbane trains but also North Coast
> Sydney boarding points at Southern Highlands, Campbelltown, Strathfield,
> Sydney, Chatswood / St. Leonards, Hornsby, Gosford and Wyong?

I think Chatswood is a bit of overkill. Some of the other stops are
hangovers from the days before the frequent service of today. I'd even
drop stops like Gosford from Countrylink services.

I don't see why you can't stop at Lidcombe (change for Olympic Park!) and
run via the North Strathfield Loop. Add a QR style platform fuel point at
Broadmeadow.

> Also is there any reason why an XPT could not be run Central - Sutherland -
> Wollongong - Robertson - Moss Vale - Melbourne and service Wollongong, NSW's
> 3rd biggest city with Interstate trains??

An XPT did that when NR modified the track at Douglas Park. Added 90
minutes to the journey.

Cheers
David