Re: NSW country rail lines upgrade

Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
mauried.454.3813E0C7@commslab.gov.au">news:mauried.454.3813E0C7@commslab.gov.au...

> Im not aware of a single case in NSW where the RTA has been required to
> re-instate a rail level crossing at its expense.

That is proberbly because this will be the first time a rail line has been
re-opened where a rail/road crossing replacement is involved.

On another note, our local paper (the Northern Daily Leader) reported heaps
of money to be spent on reopening disused rail lines. It reported that the
Inverell line would be reopened, etc..... In reality just under 4km of track
will be rehabilitated to allow trains out to a new silo complex. Money will
also be spent on upgrading the Walgett and Marrywinebone branches west of
Narrabri and the Weemelah line north of Moree.
The rumor floating around a while back about reopening the line to Bogabilla
and extending to Gundi looks like it will never happen. Basically all that
is happening in the North West is that RAC have advertised that they are
spending what they usually spend on maintenance. It is more of a publicity
stunt as they have announced major retrenchments for up this way. They
originally proposed to get rid of everyone at Werris Creek, relocate a few
to Tamworth, and do away with a couple of other gangs.
Just tell the state that you are spending all this money and everyone thinks
that it is extra when in reality it is what is normally spent. I know, we
had the same thing done to us by the government department that I work for a
couple of months back. No extra money, just what they usually spend, but
they got heaps of mileage and good publicity out of it for awhile.
--
Gavin Potter
e-mail

"Planning without action is futile. Action without planning
is fatal."  -Alan Speigel.