Re: level crossing near misses, was Re: problems at ringwood

Michael Kurkowski <mk@netstra.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>Dave Malcolm said in message <keithm.365.380FFDAE@happy.dca.gov.au>, I
>therefore quote:

>>Why feel sorry for an inconsiderate, impatient person? If you take the
>>risk you've got to accept the consiquenses. I would feel sorry for
>>family and friends though.
>
>You took my words straight out of my keyboard :)
>
>Dead is dead, it's nothing, people die every day. But, yes, I do feel sorry
>for the relatives and friends of the person involved in the accident.

Premature death is a waste of resources and opportunity. I am sorry
for this woman who, because of a foolish ACT, has lost all these
opportunities for herself and her family. We are all the loosers for
her foolishness actually, every individual should be a seen as having
the potential of making a contribution to society.  We all make
foolish mistakes and none of us are exempt from that; some get away
with it and some don't.

Dead is dead (obviously) but you can't say it's nothing - especially
if it happens to you.

Yes, I agree she ACTED inconsiderately and impatiently, but I regret
her death as a waste of potential to herself, her family and society
in general, just as I would a youth who kills himself in a car
accident for example. Society is more likely to take into
consideration the communal remorse and grief following a death in
prompting for any safety improvements, rather than the trauma of one
very lonely train-driver innocently doing his job.

Les Brown