Re: Big train wreck in England! - 70 Dead?

Bill Bolton <billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org> wrote in message
UogROAvjm0JzczDj9nLxYfwXcsJV@4ax.com">news:UogROAvjm0JzczDj9nLxYfwXcsJV@4ax.com...
> RNS <steam3801@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The chances are that the three car train would have continued in a
> > straight line and remained upright if derailed with catch point at
> > this point.
>
> That's easy to say when you want to make a point, but harder to
> justify if one of the "chances" happens to tip on its side in the path
> of an oncoming train.  Given that the commuter train was moving at
> normal running speed, remaining upright was not a "high chance"
> option.
>
> > The worst that could have happened would have been much less serious
> > than what did happen.
>
> The worst that could happen would have been just as serious.
>
> > The Hornsby derailment is a good example
>
> It was a low speed derailment which diverted away form running lines,
> so its not relevant at all.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill
>
> Catch points are not the be all to end all.
Once the wheels leave the rail there is nothing to direct the wheels.
In days gone by before bogies this might have been ok,but now the situation
arrives where the front bogie may go in a different direction to the rear
bogie,hence Armageddon.
An example of this chaos theory was the Sand siding between Nyora and Lang
Lang (Vic).
The up end points are rodded to catch blades with the toe facing the siding
and directing the wheels away from the main line.
There is a falling grade from the wagon loading point and much sand every
where.
Now the siding was designed in the days of Victorian 4 wheel sand hoppers
and never really upgraded for bogie stock.
One night a bogie wagon got away by itself,fully loaded. it rolled towards
Melbourne struck the catch points,with the front bogie sailing in the
direction of the bush and feeling the effects of all that sand on the ground
helping to retard it,meanwhile the rear bogie was pushing on on on, left the
rails and headed for the main line before the whole juggernaut came to a
halt with the tail end sitting close to the main line.
Next morning the up pass from Leongatha came roaring along to be confronted
by the site.
They got through, by about 6".
We all marvelled at how lucky they had been and that the side of those H
cars had not been ripped open like a sardine can.
It took all day and 2 very large road cranes to lift that hopper back on,and
it was agreed that perhaps the catch points should be extended further away
in to the bush,but alas this was never done and the railways got away with
it once again.
Yes the points had done there job, as designed,well I don't think so.
My point is once a flanged wheel leaves the guiding rail it is out of
control and does not necessarily go where you think it might.
Lineman