Re: Big train wreck in England!

On Wed, 06 Oct 1999 22:10:26 +1000,
billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org (Bill Bolton) wrote, and I
selectively quote:

>According to several different Radio news reports this morning, it was
>definitely the Thames middle distance train that "ran the red".

Pardon me if I'm coming in a little late here.

The graphic "reconstruction" on the Today show (CNN feed) showed the
Thames train that allegedly ran the red swinging across into the path
of the HST.

I thought interlocking would not set points to enable a conflicting
path to be set up* (Notaguzel, DEL.... advice please?), ie the points
beyond the red should not have been set to reverse:  if they'd been
set to normal,  the SPAD wouldn't have had such dire consequences.

(* = for example, here in Sunshine, when an up train from Ballarat is
entering Sunshine, the points on the DOWN line from the city are set
to reverse as well so that if a SPAD occurs, there won't be a
collision).

Regards

Yuri
--