Re: Big train wreck in England!

"David Ready" <ds_ready@usa.net> wrote:

>This latest crash is simply another driver going through a red light, on the
>same track as the Southall crash 2 years ago. The Thames train, crossing 3
>tracks went through a red across the path of an oncoming Great Western
>Train,
>I'll never know why the brits
>don't have a system like NSW where a train gets derailed if it goes through
>a red light or has its brakes automatically applied.

Is the above true or was it like Southall, where the HST was the SPAD
offender?  I would have thought that the HST could have over-run a red
light that was protecting the crossover being used by the commuter
train, but if it was the commuter train than passed a red at danger,
how did the points associated with this red light get to be set for
the conflicting move?  I would have thought the interlocking would
have prevented the points from being operated for the crossover move?

Geoff Lambert