Re: Big train wreck in England!

On Thu, 07 Oct 1999 12:25:56 +1000, Yuri J Sos
<steam4me@enternet.com.au> wrote:

>>According to several different Radio news reports this morning, it was
>>definitely the Thames middle distance train that "ran the red".
>
>I thought interlocking would not set points to enable a conflicting
>path to be set up* (Notaguzel, DEL.... advice please?), ie the points
>beyond the red should not have been set to reverse:  if they'd been
>set to normal,  the SPAD wouldn't have had such dire consequences.

The following is AIUI:-
West of Ladbroke Grove there are four main lines, all unidirectional.
>From the north they are Up slow, Down slow, Up Fast, Down Fast.
East of Ladbroke Grove there are six main lines, all bidirectional
(beginning the yard throat for Paddington.)
>From the north they are track 1, track2, track 3, track 4, track5,
track6.
The HST was approaching with green signals on the Up Fast which
continues in a straight line as track 4. The DMU was crossing from
track 3 to the Down Fast.
This is complicated by the fact that the two tracks that terminate are
not the outside tracks. Track 3 terminates and therefore all trains
would approach on yellows, expecting a diverge.

Regardless of what happened it is a disaster and my thoughts and
prayers go to all of those involved - railway staff, passengers and
emergency people.

Cheers

Krel

VGR website http://www.castlemaine.net.au/~vgr/

If competition is so good how come there is only one Competition Commision?