Re: Labor win etc...

> So I would suggest that all things being equal and I know there
not,that the
> new Brack's government will be open to suggestions by service
providers to
> spend(tax payers) money on tracks etc to reinstate passenger rail
services
> to Mildura,Bairnsdale,and a long shot Ararat-Ballarat.
> So lets be quite clear,we the people still own the tracks, so if we
want
> passenger trains its us that have to find the money via fully costed
budgets
> to upgrade some pretty poorly run down infrastructure.

The country trains that are the most likely to return, in rough order
are as follows:
1) Bairnsdale - strongest economic case as trains currently sit at sale
during the time they used to go backwards and forwards to Bairnsdale
which is against the economic rationalist principle of maximum
utilisation. All they save by not running them to bairnsdale is a bit
of diesel. Craig Ingram is supportive of the train returning.

2) Ararat - broad gauge line is still in place as far as ararat and
with the loss of Ripon and big swings in Portland and Wimmera Ararat is
the best place for a bus distribution point to the west

3) Maryborough - some ballarat sprinters could easily head north to
maryborough and possibly connect with buses from further north

4) Mildura - Russell Savage campaigned hard on the train issue but the
Vinelander is nowhere near as economically viable as some of the other
services. If the Mildura train returns, it will be additional to the
previously mentioned ones

5) Leongatha - a long shot, but with Susan Davies advocating it (after
we at the PTUA lobbied her to), who knows? :)

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.