Re: St Leonards, NSW

Anything could work--if you had the money and willpower to get it done.

Money is something that is always the lack of, but can be overcome.

willpower is on the politicians/beureaucrats part. Always a lack of and probably never be overcome.

Garry Hoddinett <hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote in message 7uk9sg$d45$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:7uk9sg$d45$1@otis.netspace.net.au...

C. Dewick <craigd@lios.apana.org.au> wrote in message
> Chatswood can't support 4 above-ground platforms anymore unless the bus
interchange is reduced, but 3 tracks is easy since platform 1 is still there
and has not had any demolition work performed.

A number of years ago I spoke to a person who purported to work in a
planning section of CityRail.  He said inorder to provide 4 above ground
platforms at Chatswood CityRail proposed to remove the existing Platform 1
and leave the existing platforms 2 & 3 to serve DOWN trains.  A new double
track island platform would be built north of the existing platforms to
serve UP trains with stair access from its southern end into a concourse
area much the same as the existing platforms have access at their northern
end into a concourse area.  The former loop that served Platform 1 would be
reinstated as an UP track while Platform  1 would be replaced by the other
UP track.  I pass Chatswood most days in a train and I believe this
arrangement could work.