Re: Gauntlet tracks

Gauntlet Tracks

There seem to be different definitions floating around ...

Macquarie Dictionary gives us (besides definitions of medieval gloves,
"throwing down the gauntlet", "running the gauntlet" etc, a definition "a
section of interlaced railway or tramway tracks".

"Locomotive Dictionary" (McGraw-Hill, 4 Ed., 1916) is silent on the subject.

We seem to have three definitions floating through aus.rail

* Two tracks of the same gauge which physically overlap, producing a section
with four rails in the "four foot" - e.g. Darling Harbour Tunnel (N.S.W)
(after electrification in 1955), old Como Bridge (N.S.W), weighbridge lines
at places such as Campsie and maybe in Newcastle (N.S.W) , the tram line
over Manly Lagoon (N.S.W).

* A W.A. definition of trackwork where a three-rail dual gauge track
"changes sides" - i.e. if the rails are numbered 1,2,3 from the left, the
narrow gauge swaps over from running on rails 1 and 2 to running on rails 2
and 3 (if this were ever perfected, [East] Perth Terminal would never have
been needed and we could catch the I.P. to Perth Central!).

* A Victorian/S.A. definition which is "anywhere there are four rails".   As
far as I can see, two gauges in four rails, or three gauges in six rails, is
*NOT* gauntlet track, it's just a centred version of mixed gauge.

This note is to suggest that equilateral mixed-gauge arrangements are *NOT*
included in a definition of gauntlet track ... rather that the definition
(outside the established W.A. usage) is "a section of track where two routes
overlap within the same loading gauge".

Now, the point of this is that I don't understand all the postings about
Spencer Street and Seymour.  I know that P'boro turntable is a simple case
of three gauges on six rails.  I think that Seymour is a simple case of
four-rail dual gauge.  I wonder whether Spencer Street is a simple case of
four-rail dual gauge.  Or, is the V.R. definition of "Gauntlet Track"
different from that of N.S.W.G.R.  Or is there somewhere at Spencer Street
where trains of the same gauge travel on different rails in "Up" and "Down
Directions"?

TIA for clarification!

Bill :)