Re: Out of Gauge Suburban EMU's in Sydney (Was DOO In Sydney)

daproc@umpires.com (WhaleOilBeefHooked) wrote in
<7u9kqk$qv1$1@news1.mpx.com.au>:

>Bill Bolton <billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org> wrote in message
>e1MIOJvJ17u1INZ0nriuvZIrSsj+@4ax.com">news:e1MIOJvJ17u1INZ0nriuvZIrSsj+@4ax.com...
>> Rod Gayford <rjaygee@smartchat.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> > safety device. The driver was far enough into the tunnel not to be
>> > able to see any mirrors, videos.
>>
>> Not if it was an in cab video display.
>
>Would he be looking at it? What do they do in Perth?
>
>I would have thought they would use the display to see when the doors
>were clear, close the doors, use the display to make sure nobody was
>caught, then go. I would then imagine that they would be looking at the
>tracks ahead.

Even if this is all he did then surely it would have worked in the
circumstances given.

Why did the guard give the right of way when this woman dived out of the
door?

Why did it take the guard so long to signal for a stop?

This seems to me like a case of either system failing due to
incompetence.

And with a proper implementation of the video system the driver would
have had a better sight of the 'trapped' woman than the guards do now,
and have been much more concerned about having a clear close.