Re: Out of Gauge Suburban EMU's in Sydney (Was DOO In Sydney)

In <3801AD28.E6345755@melbpc.org.au> John Duncan McCallum
<mccallum@melbpc.org.au> writes:

>> Melbourne already had rearview mirrors on trains. Sydney never has.
>> Tangarbages are right on the extremity of the loading gauge when
operating
>> in the medium width area. How do propose to solve this without
>> expensive-to-install retractable windows?

>When you say that the trains are right on the extremity of the loading
>gauge, how much room is there between the side of the train and lineside
>structures or trains on adjacent tracks?

I'm not sure, but there are actually two standards which have to co-relate
here - the loading gauge, which is the maximum volumetric space in which
rollingstock is permitted to occupy, and the structure gauge, which is the
same but keeps structures a pre-defined distance *back* from the maximum
limits of the complementary loading guage profile.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport