Re: Gauntlet tracks

Darren H. <locob67@hotmail.com> wrote in message 3807557b@nap-ns1">news:3807557b@nap-ns1...
> Okay, it was silly of me to assume that everyone would know what is meant
by
> gauntlet track. Sorry.
> Basically it is two separate rail lines superimposed onto the one set of
> sleepers, giving 4 rails. A double track line becomes gauntlet track by
the
> 2 coming together like a single track, but there are no actual points to
> allow a train to go from one track to the other. They remain separate.
This
> was/ is sometimes done to allow a double track line to occupy single track
> width for single track bridges or tunnels, either permanently or temporary
> (for works) without the need to change turnouts at either end of the
'single
> track' section. In Melbourne there are some sections of this track, but
they
> have one standard and one broad gauge track on them. I know they exist or
> have existed elsewhere in Australia. But where?
>
> Hope this helps clear up my earlier question.
>
> Darren Hodges.

The Marian Mill had a section of gauntlet track from Mirani through to
Mirani West where its 2'0" gauge (610mm) tramline shared a high bridge over
the Pioneer River with the 3'6" gauge (1067mm) Queensland Railways
branchline to Finch Hatton. This line is now 2'0" gauge only following
closure of the QR track beyond Marian and its conversion to 2'0" gauge.
There is quite a bit of dual gauge on the 2'0" tramways but I can't think of
any other gauntletted track off-hand.

canetram59