Re: Out of Gauge Suburban EMU's in Sydney (Was DOO In Sydney)

C. Dewick <craigd@lios.apana.org.au> wrote in message
7u22bg$j6d$1@lios.apana.org.au">news:7u22bg$j6d$1@lios.apana.org.au...

> I think the guards should stay, but adopt a modified role. The Perth
system
> has no guards as such, but *every* train has private security guards.

Not *every* train - when I was there last December, there were "Transport
Police" doing revenue-protection duties on about 50% of the trains I was on.

> BTW, leaving 3 minutes late is a very, very minor offence compared to some

Really? I was the one that reported it in here, and it happened at Penrith.
The guard was in his compartment, reading the paper. The train had the road
(from platform2). Departure time came and went. The signal box called the
station assistant, who then waled out and spoke to the guard. The guard then
blew his whistle, closed the doors, rang the bell and the train left.

THAT is a major offence in my book. IF there were legitimate reasons (train
blocking section, helping disabled passenger) then fair enough. BUT, this
was outright laziness.

> of the things that happen (such as my guard disappearing off my train the
> other day before I'd stabled it in the yard here at Waterfall)... However
if
> it's something that's done deliberately instead of a genuine mistake, that
> changes the picture.

See above.

DaveP