Re: Oldest set of flashing lights at a road crossing still in situ

Lineman <grime@dcsi.net.au> wrote in message news:...

> Exnarc <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> 7tqbmu$2asa$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:7tqbmu$2asa$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
> >
> > Notagunzel <notagunzel@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> > 7GZL3.13$FJ3.884@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:7GZL3.13$FJ3.884@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
> > > Darren H. <locob67@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > 38000ec9@nap-ns1">news:38000ec9@nap-ns1...

> > > 37fe7d99@nap-ns1">news:37fe7d99@nap-ns1...

> > > to be
> > > on the

> > > others of

> > > lamp being
> > > have a
> > > post.
> > >
> > > They are certainly the only ones I've seen around.  (Model HC81?)
> > > They are Cast Iron.
> > >
> > > The Crossing won't be oldest complete installation unless it has the
> > > original control circuits, which if it was 1940's would have been a
> > > high tech DX13 interlocking Track Relay.
> > >
> > > If FV ever start running back down to Koala, I expect they won't
> > > survive the attack of the LED's.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mr Notagunzel.
> > > Rail Transportation Connoisseur.
> > > notagunzel@bigfoot.com
> > > (Waiting for any move at http://www.bigfoot.com/~notagunzel)
> > >
> > Accepting that Koo-Wee-Rup are the oldest Flashing Lights, where were
the
> > first Boom Barriers fitted in Victoria???
> >
> > McKinnon had European type Booms (full gate type) until the third line
was
> > built, were these the first Booms???
> >
> > Bob.
> >
> > If Mckinnon booms where operated by signalman winding wheel would they
not
> then be classified as mechanical gates?
> If this was the case then perhaps somewhere else like Glenferrie Rd
Kooyong
> would be first electric booms.
>
> >Further to the above and having refered to the books,the following can be
added to the debate.
McKinnon
(Diagram No4/28)
Book of Signals 1949 page 124
Note.-The gates installed at McKinnon-road are known as the Interlocked Boom
Gate.They are operated from a wheel in the Signal-bay in a similar manner to
the ordinary Interlocked Swing Gates,and have two positions,open and
closed.etc.

Pocket history of the Railways in Victoria 1839~1985
First WigWag
Amess St North Carlton
Aug22,1923

First Flashing Lights
Moorabin Rd Mentone
Mar 16,1932

First automatically-operated boom barriers,replaced hand operated gates at
Toorak rd Tooronga
Feb 6,1956

> Regards
Lineman