Re: Oldest set of flashing lights at a road crossing still in situ

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:39:43 +1000, "Lineman" <grime@dcsi.net.au>
wrote:
I got involved with booms and FLs in 1962 and 1963. In rough order, I
did:

Bell St Coburg
Devon Rd Pascoe Vale-Oak Park (same)
Bairnsdale (FL)
Kilmany FL (a few years later, I got to design the overpass)
Mont Albert
Middle Brighton
Dublin Road Ringwood East (FL)
Cherry St Werribee
Macauley Rd Kensington
Madden Gr Burnley
Riversdale Rd (bendy booms to avoid tram wires)
Keon Parade (FL)
Maffra (FL)
Sunshine Rd (FL)
Wodonga (FL)
Moorabool (FL)
Fairfield
Dennis
Millbrook (FL)
Warrnambool (FL)
Grange Rd Carnegie

During this time, we did design after design for Neerim Rd Glenhuntly
- there were those who wanted to lower tracks, those who wanted a
quick fix to get rid of the manual gates. The lowering was ruled out,
because there was just too much underground water to allow a
"cutting".

Overall, once they figured out the tricks, they sure got busy. That
list would be about the content of 1 year's budget.

Then I went to the structural design area, for bridges and buildings.
I guess a fair number of my city projects got pulled down to make way
for Docklands.

Paul Blair

snip

>First automatically-operated boom barriers,replaced hand operated gates at
>Toorak rd Tooronga
>Feb 6,1956
>

>> Regards
>Lineman