Re: QR going national?

MattyQ <matticueQ@corplink.com.au> wrote in message
3800b179.0@newsin2.apacinternet.com.au">news:3800b179.0@newsin2.apacinternet.com.au...

> That's not the point I'm trying to make. All I ever hear is how stupid
> narrow gauge is and how wonderful standard gauge is. Why is it then that,
> given that NSW is the only state that has 1435mm as its PRIMARY gauge,
> Queensland still has longer, faster and heavier trains and a better
> performance record than NSW?

Nothing to do with gauge. It has more to do with track alignments (good
politicians there) and topography (what size trains do you run from
Toowoomba to Brisbane and at what speed?)

>Why is it that QR has 80km/h turnouts whereas
> Victorian broad gauge, which as logic would dictate, should have higher
> speed turnouts but only have 65km/h points as their fastest.

Again, nothing to do with gauge - NSW has 80km/h points I think Glenfield
might be faster, I know I have been up the front of a train that has
comfortably taken them at 100km/h.

DaveP