Re: QR going national?

< Tell > <telljb@OZozemail.com.au> wrote in message
Po8AOKQ2N+Ueh7+aZVX1uH1oTqRO@4ax.com">news:Po8AOKQ2N+Ueh7+aZVX1uH1oTqRO@4ax.com...
> pcc@ocean.com.au (Les Brown) wrote:
>
> > "MattyQ" <matticueQ@corplink.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:
> >
> > >I can't see what all the hooey is about. After all, the 3' 6" gauge IS
the
> > >most widely used gauge in Australia. Can't be that bad.
> > >
> > It's also the most isolated guage in Australia. It just doesn't go
> > anywhere. There are just too many isolated 3'6" gauge lines around the
> > country. That situation has over the last 40 years improved by closing
> > or converting isolated systems to Sg or Bg.
>

> Just about covers it, Les.

That's not the point I'm trying to make. All I ever hear is how stupid
narrow gauge is and how wonderful standard gauge is. Why is it then that,
given that NSW is the only state that has 1435mm as its PRIMARY gauge,
Queensland still has longer, faster and heavier trains and a better
performance record than NSW? Why is it that QR has 80km/h turnouts whereas
Victorian broad gauge, which as logic would dictate, should have higher
speed turnouts but only have 65km/h points as their fastest. Oh how
restricting narrow gauge is.

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane, QLD