Re: British Accident 1sr Report Out - Thames Driver Not Being Blamed At This Point

Ian Jelf <ian@bluebadge.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
r+aeltB$4j$3EwqR@bluebadge.demon.co.uk">news:r+aeltB$4j$3EwqR@bluebadge.demon.co.uk...
> In article <EfpL3.37$Id.7954@amsnews02.chello.com>, David Ready
> <ds_ready@usa.net> writes
> >
> >For those interested the 1st interim report has been released and can be
> >viewed at the BBC website. While they are saying that the Thames driver
went
> >through a red that it is good that he isn't being blamed at this stage
and
> >that it is being seen as "a system failure". Both the BBC report and a
good
> >track diagram, and a link to the full report, can be seen at
> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_468000/468905.stm
>
> There's just been a very harrowing statement on television here by the
> Thames driver's family's solicitor.   They're saying that the chap is
> being convicted by the media and yet isn't here to defend himself.
>
> I'd be inclined to agree with this statement;  we increasingly know
> *what* has happened, but not yet *why*.   However much people might feel
> that things will be "covered up" I honestly think this unlikely now.
> There is *such* anger, such *such* revulsion at what has happened that I
> think it will be impossible to hide anything.   I also feel that some
> pretty senior heads will eventually roll here, both industry and
> political.
>
> But that's just a personal view.
> --
> Ian Jelf        http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
> Birmingham, UK
>         Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide
>         for the Heart of England and London
Ian,

Its always easy to find a scapegoat after such an accident, the press do it
all the time. However its rarely that simple, as you so rightly point out,
heads may well roll eventually.

Without making any assumptions as to the real cause its interesting to hear
the comments from ASLEF regarding the sighting of this signal, do ASLEF have
a signal sighting committee or working party? We had appalling signals in
Victoria back in the early 80's, the Signals Engineers of the time had the
phylosophy that if Drivers got involved in their design (positioning) of
signals it was an attack on their Professionalism, (at least thats what it
seemed at the time).

Through persistant pressure from the AFULE, Drivers eventually became
involved in the placing, sighting and in some cases the selection of the
type of equipment fitted. As a result (though not perfect), Victoria has
much better signalling from the view of the Driver than it did before, also
a lot of that distrust and suspicion between the S&C and Enginemen
evaporated when each saw that the other was trying to reach the same goal,
reliable functing signalling.

On the other hand in AN territory (Wolseley to Adelaide) there was non or
very little input from the Drivers and the signal sighting (particulaly in
the Adelaide Hills) is appalling from the view of early sighting.

I know I've digressed but I was trying to find out if the Signal as
mentioned at Paddington played a key part in the disaster, or whether it was
just media hype?

Bob.